[private]In the wake of tornadoes and severe storms that ripped through South Georgia over the weekend, Gov. Nathan Deal has called a state of emergency in 16 counties.
The governor confirmed that the death toll from the destructive weather has now reached 15 people, with an undisclosed number still missing.
“These storms have devastated communities and resulted in the loss of lives of 15 individuals, which is the count at the time,” he said in a media briefing at his capitol office.
The state of emergency, which extends through Jan. 30, includes these counties: Atkinson, Baker, Berrien, Brooks, Calhoun, Clay, Colquitt, Cook, Crisp, Dougherty, Lowndes, Mitchell, Thomas, Turner, Wilcox and Worth. Mitchell and Dougherty.
The storm system plowed through Georgia, Mississippi, and South Carolina and so far is credited with the deaths of four people in South Carolina in addition to the 15 Georgia fatalities.
Four of those deaths occurred in Dougherty County (Albany), while seven people were killed at a mobile home park in Adel (Cook County).
Deal said he will visit the storm areas on Wednesday.
© 2017 by The Georgia Report